Meet the Dancers and Enjoy Premium Seats to Smuin Contemporary Ballet’s Dance Series 01 Showcase
Celebrating the legacy of Johnny Cash, former Artistic Director of the National Ballet of Canada James Kudelka, The Man in Black explores American determination and human vulnerability in six covers of iconic Cash songs. Danced in cowboy boots, the show combines several popular American country-western dance styles - line, square, and swing dancing - with sharp ballet technique and raw emotion in this Company premiere.
Michael Smuin’s impassioned Carmina Burana celebrates life, lust, and joy, while also mourning the cruelty of fate. Based on the medieval poems that inspired the classic choral score, Smuin’s intensely physical choreography challenges the dancers’ athleticism and expression, culminating in the powerful “O Fortuna.”
Following the success of his Sinfonietta last season, former Company member Rex Wheeler creates a mainstage premiere set to selections from jazz legend Dave Brubeck’s lively and innovative albums. This will be a night full of surprises!
- Enjoy 3 dance works: The Man in Black (inspired by Johnny Cash), Carmina Burana and Take Five (inspired by Dave Brubeck)
- Premium orchestra seats
- Post-show mixer with some of the dancers
- The post-show mixer may include other IfOnly guests
- Smuin offers audiences an experience of ballet that is entertaining, evocative, and original
- For groups of 4 or more, adjacent seating may not be guaranteed
- A signed pair of worn ballerina slippers to take home as a souvenir (sizes may vary)
- Experience provided in English (US)
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
- This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
- Price includes gratuity
How It Works