Intro to Foraging in the Mountains of SoCal
Learn how to forage for food, medicine and materials in local mountains. Naturalist Joel will guide you on an ethnobotanical hike as an introduction to indigenous life ways. Consume wild plants at your own risk.... more less
For more than 10,000 years, the indigenous tribes of Southern California thrived in this land of diversity and abundance. They observed how the wildlife survived and followed in their footsteps. Follow naturalist Joel on a single-track trail and learn the edible, medicinal and material uses for many of the wild plants of the chosen location. You will discuss the intricacies of the foraging process, including seasons, plant communities, ethics, recipes and various survival techniques.
Take notes, photos and videos while eating identified items and drinking from streams or springs. Come prepared for a full day - the trail may have stream crossings, uneven terrain and poison oak. Scrambling, bushwhacking, digging, harvesting, tasting and manual labor may be involved. Be prepared for a mix of sun and shade. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the start time, and note that the experience may go over the minimum time of two hours. Bring a minimum of one quart (32 oz) of water per person, snacks and/or a full meal.
- Learn the edible, medicinal and material uses for many wild plants
- Discuss the intricacies of the foraging process
- Eat identified items and drink from streams or springs at your own risk
- Follow naturalist Joel on a single-track trail in the mountains
- May take place at Cleveland National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, Los Padres National Forest or Santa Monica Mountains based on weather and preference
- Wear weather protection such as a jacket, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc., durable hiking socks and closed-toed hiking shoes, an extra pair of shoes for wet tours, long pants, and a backpack for snacks
- Bring a first aid kit, cell phone, flashlight and layered clothing for evening hikes
- Experience provided in English (US)
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
- Price includes gratuity
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
- Call at least one day in advance to discuss itinerary
- Participate at your own risk
- Inherent dangers include poisonous/ venomous/ irritating plants and wildlife, uneven terrain, exposure to elements, unstable/ slippery surfaces, falling/ loose rocks/ logs and remote locations without cell phone reception
How It Works