Laotian-Style Barbecue Hosted by Acclaimed Chef of Michelin-Starred Commis
Experience a relaxed summer-time meal where acclaimed chef James Syhabout lets loose with flavors inspired by his cultural heritage. Hands-on participation is encouraged.... more less
Invite Chef James Syhabout of Oakland’s acclaimed Commis to your home and he’ll bring the party. He’ll set up several stations, including a papaya salad muddling station, where he’ll recreate his favorite family dishes for you. Chef Syhabout will create a welcoming and casual environment, where guests are welcome to help him prepare dishes if they’d like. While you may have been to Commis, you will experience a side of Chef Syhabout’s cooking that you haven’t experienced yet. Expect the same layers of umami and fresh seasonal ingredients, but also get ready for spicy, bright, and funky flavors. This experience is not for the meek. Offal may be involved and plenty of shellfish-based sauces. There will also be plenty of beverage options, including wine, beer, and Laotian and Thai whisky cocktails.
For the complete experience, Chef Syhabout has considered all the details, including providing the decor. He’ll bring vibrantly patterned oilcloths for the table, placemats, and enamel tableware. A personally curated playlist with a mix of traditional Laotian music and contemporary uptempo beats will enliven the mood. Throughout the event, Chef Syhabout will mingle with guests. He’s warm, down-to-earth, and as you can imagine, passionate about cooking. This will be an event that your guests will remember for years to come. A part of this experience will benefit the James Beard Foundation, which mentors the next generation of American chefs.
Photo credit: Aubrie Pick.
- Laotian-style barbecue cookout and family-style menu with Chef James Syhabout
- Interactive stations for guests to participate in preparing foods
- Due to Chef Syhabout’s use of marinades and sauces infused with shellfish, this experience is not recommended for those with shellfish allergies
- Playlist provided by Chef Syhabout upon request
- Alcohol is not included; Chef James can share a list of recommended beverages for guests to purchase
- Pre-event consultation to discuss menu options and beverage pairing suggestions
- All equipment, ingredients, decor, and cleanup will be included
- Guests are required to have a grill and provide seating
- Rentals can be coordinated for an additional fee
- Experience provided in English (US)
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
- This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works