Lectures on Libations
Lectures on Libations: Lectures and Workshops Illuminating the Illustrious History of the Cocktail
Lectures on Libations offers an educational twist to the traditional Happy Hour. Historic cocktail lectures act as the garnish to your perfectly crafted drink.... more less
Lectures on Libations' custom lecture curriculum spans from the golden era of American mixology circa the 19th century, through the passing of the Volstead Act in the roaring Jazz Age, and up to the contemporary rebirth of craft cocktails. Choose one of six lectures for your next happy hour and let the experts infuse your era-appropriate cocktail pairings with an academic dose of folklore and history.
- Lectures include:
- Cocktail Diaspora: what happens when American bartenders flee to find work overseas during America's Prohibition, and what drinks do they create?
- The Golden Age: Travel back to the Golden Age of the American Cocktail. Learn the linguistic and historic origins of the Cocktail and understand the influences of the pharmacy, voodoo, and the sporting class.
- The Volstead Act and Prohibition: The Volstead Act prohibited the sale of alcohol in America and quickly halted a newly blooming craft. Taste the cocktails inspired by the bathtub booze, illegal imports and medicinal mixers of prohibition.
- Post-Prohibition and the Death of Flavor: Repeal day lifted the Volstead Act, but it did not bring the high-caliber cocktails of the Golden Age back to the average imbiber. However, through these dark ages of flavor, there are some kitschy and delicious gems.
- Futurist Cocktails: Dynamic Modernism jumps from the canvas into your glass with conceptual Cocktails designed by the Futurists of Italy.
- Absinthe Propaganda: is Absinthe really a dangerous psychoactive aperitif or was it made into a monster? Learn the corrupt history of the most notorious spirit.
- Experience provided in English (US)
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
- Price includes gratuity
- This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
- Pricing does not include price of any produce: all ingredients are purchased by event host.
- Pricing does not include price of alcohol: all alcohol is purchased by event host.
How It Works