A Bug's Life: Behind the Scenes of the Insect Habitat with the Zoo's Insect Curator
No arachnophobes here. Go on a journey through terrariums filled with insects and learn what makes every species of multi-legged creatures unique and fascinating.... more less
Originally created as a temporary exhibition in 1979, the Insect Zoo proved so popular that the zoo managers made it a permanent exhibit. You’re invited on an interactive tour with the zoo's insect curator through terrariums filled with a variety of arthropods. From near and far, the insects include millipedes, centipedes, Madagascar-hissing cockroaches, tarantulas, scorpions, velvet ants (actually a type of wasp), and termites to name a few.
Visitors will have the opportunity to hold a giant thorny stick insect, pet a hairy tarantula, and feed a black widow. Before and after the tour, enjoy viewing the more than 250 species of other animals, ride the Little Puffer Train and Carousel, or enjoy the themed play areas at the San Francisco Zoo.
Photography by Marianne Hale
- Behind-the-scenes experience with the San Francisco Zoo's insect curator
- Package includes full-day zoo admission for all guests and one parking pass
- While the tour is approximately 50 to 60 minutes, guests are welcome to stay and enjoy the zoo for the entire day
- Suitable for guests of all ages. Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a participating adult
- This experience takes place rain or shine; every effort will be made to ensure your comfort
- All behind-the-scenes experiences are subject to change based on the health and welfare of the animals
- Experience provided in English (US)
Buying this as a gift?
read fine print
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works