Sail on an America’s Cup 12m Yacht with a Racing Veteran
Under the guidance of experienced sailors, get a chance to crew the Freedom $30 or theLionheart K18 British Challenger in the Long Island Sound.... more less
On the Long Island Sound, the 12m Yacht Development Foundation coaches day adventurers of all experience levels in the art of sailing. Their ultra-exclusive fleet is comprised of Freedom $30 the beautifully restored winner of the 1980 America’s Cup in Newport, and Lionheart K18 British Challenger, an ultra-light aluminum racing sloop that competed in the same race. To benefit the maritime society, 12m has partnered with IfOnly to arrange incredible experiences on these historic vessels.
You'll have the choice of two options, depending on your interests and group size. Whatever you choose, you’ll be led by an America's Cup veteran such as Captain Hans Isbrandtsen, who was the youngest ever America’s Cup crewman that took home the 1972 America’s Cup. For parties of up to 10 guests, you can go on a sailing lesson, where you'll tour the beautiful Connecticut coastline and learn the fundamentals of speed yachting. For larger groups of up to 20, a competitive teamwork program is offered. Go head to head against your colleagues or friends as your party boards both yachts for some friendly racing. Take over the helm, grinders, sails and navigation of an America’s Cup yacht as you complete a time trial along the Connecticut and Long Island coasts. There will also be a photographer aboard to document all the action on your maritime adventure.
- America’s Cup sailing adventure in Greenwich, Conn led by Captain Hans Isbrandtsen or another America's Cup veteran
- Select from 2 options Hire 1 yacht for a hands-on sailing experience for up to 10 people
- Hire 2 yachts for a team-based match race for up to 20 people
- A professional photographer is Included in option 2, the competitive racing option
- Available April 15 - November 15 between 8 a.m. to sunset, weather permitting
- Experience provided in English (US)
- Will be scheduled on a mutually agreeable date and time, based on luminary’s availability
- This experience is non-refundable after scheduling is complete
How It Works